Department of Liver & Gastro Sciences
Welcome To Gangasheel Hospital
What is Upper GI Endoscopy?
Upper GI (Gastrointestinal) endoscopy is a procedure in which a doctor uses an endoscope (a flexible tube with a camera) to view the lining of the upper GI tract. A gastroenterologist or other trained healthcare professional will perform the procedure, usually while you are lightly sedated to help you relax.
Doctors use upper gastrointestinal endoscopy to diagnose and treat symptoms and conditions affecting the esophagus, stomach, and upper intestine or duodenum.
✓ Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy can help find the cause of unexplained symptoms such as:-
- Persistent heartburn
- Problems during swallowing
- Unexplained weight loss
- Nausea and Vomiting
✓ It can be used to track out many different diseases like:-
- Inflammation or swelling
- Precancerous abnormalities such as Barrett's esophagus
- Celiac disease
- Strictures or narrowing of the esophagus
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy can detect damage after a person has eaten or drunk harmful chemicals.
✓ During an upper GI endoscopy, a doctor obtains biopsies by passing an instrument through the endoscope to obtain a small sample of tissue for analysis. Biopsies are required to diagnose conditions such as:-
- Celiac disease
✓ Doctors also use upper gastrointestinal endoscopy:-
- To treat conditions such as bleeding from ulcers, esophageal varices, or other conditions
- Dilate or open strictures with a small balloon passed through the endoscope
- Remove objects, including food, that could get stuck in the upper gastrointestinal tract
- Remove polyps or other growths
- Placing feeding tubes or drainage tubes
Doctors are also beginning to use upper GI endoscopy to perform weight-loss procedures in some people with obesity.
Benefits of Upper Gastrointestinal endoscopy are:-
- Painless procedure
- Quick procedure
- Safe procedure
- It makes easy for doctor to make a diagnosis
- Use to treat serious problems
Yes, Upper GI Endoscopy is available in Bareilly at Gangasheel Hospital by the team of expert Gastroenterologists in the city.